Sunday, August 25, 2013

Anniversarys: Birthdays and Marriage

We celebrate all sorts of anniversaries through out our lives. Really there are lots of different kinds. Many types including weddings, company, or even a birthday is a type of anniversary.
At the end of July the hubby and I celebrated our second anniversary. The traditional gift? Cotton. Since we said no gifts because of our splurge to go to Japan and  I love to sew I decided it would be fun to do something with our never ending supply of fabrics.
Since I was in a rush for time, I actually didnt sew a thing! I have seen a bunch of framed "date art" on pinterest which inspired me to do something with our special dates and some states we've been to or lived in.
What do you get when you combine significant dates, states and my supply of cotton (along with an 8 dollar frame I got on clearance at Michaels)?
See below:

Now keep in mind I was in a crunch for time (I made it the day of our anniversary) and was being a bit lazy, had I thought this through a bit more I would have printed on the muslin state pieces through a computer rather than doing it all quickly with a sharpy, and I would have made sure the wording on each state was consistent. But hey, I think it still came out cute, and it was only an 8 dollar anniversary gift! Plus I like how much about our story I incorporated in one item, Where we first met, where we got married, where we live now, and even where we went to school (Alabama fabric background). Not bad for a last minute project!

Onto another type of anniversary! Birthdays! 
My adorable niece is turning two at the end of August. Her mama had her party early so she ended up with gifts early! 
My parents (the grandparents) got her a little kitchen set (since apparently she was using one of their kitchen chairs as her pretend kitchen while mom and dad actually cooked dinner). Anywho, the hubby and I got her a cute little pots and pans set from Amazon. And of course I couldn't help making something for her as well!
I have tons of fat squares that I buy just because I can't resist whenever they go on sale for 50 cents or a dollar. As I am always looking to use up my never ending supply of fabric odds and ends I decided to make something for the little niece to go with her Kitchen set. 
The result? A cute little toddler apron and pot holder (seen below)
Only cost me 2 dollars (plus labor and the time it took to figure out the apron but that was fun!... something different from my normal sewing work!) The shipping was the most expensive part!

I always cherished gifts I got from my Aunts growing up especially if it was something made specially for me... now I just need to get those holiday dresses done so I can use up some more fabric! 

Ah yes anniversaries, of age or any other occasion, I love to find excuses to make something, and usually I do need a reason as motivation! Now to prepare for the Fall season and Holidays... lots of reasons to create (and on a budget at that!)



No comments:

Post a Comment